The WEX Group, which comprises WEX Australia Pty Ltd, WEX Fuel Cards Australia Ltd, WEX Prepaid Cards Australia Pty Ltd and its related bodies corporate, is committed to protecting your privacy and confidentiality of your personal information.
We are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), and will protect your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
2. What information do we collect?
Personal information means any information relating to an individual that identifies that individual or could reasonably be used to identify the individual, regardless of the medium involved.
The personal information we collect includes your name, mailing address, telephone, drivers’ licence, mobile number, e-mail address, date of birth and may also include your financial details such as your credit scores and Tax File Number. If you obtain a WEX product or service, we will also collect details of the accounts you nominate for us to debit funds from.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is stored on your device when you visit a website and contains information that is transferred to your computer. For more information on how about what cookies are, what cookies may be set when you visit this website and how to reject or delete those cookies, please visit our WEX Cookie Notice.
3. When and how do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information from you when you:
- apply for a WEX Motorpass card or trade card that is co-branded or fully branded with a WEX Group partner or for any other product or service issued by the WEX Group, that we may offer from time to time (WEX products & services)
- communicate with us in person, over the telephone, through our mobile applications, by letter, fax or email
- complete an application form, respond to surveys or visit our website
- apply for credit limit increases
- use our cards or mobile applications.
We will only collect personal information from you that is necessary for us to provide WEX products and services to you.
We may also collect personal information about you from a third party:
- when considering an application by you for WEX products & services; or
- when taking steps to deal with an overdue payment owed by you.
The third parties we collect personal information from include credit reporting agencies, other creditors referred to in credit reports or in an application for WEX products & services. Such personal information will include your credit history and credit worthiness.
Via our website
Our system automatically collects some information from your computer when you complete an application and when you log in to our system through one of our websites or mobile applications. Specifically, this information may include information such as: your IP address, device type, unique device identification number, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g., country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our websites, including the pages accessed and links clicked (for example, by using cookies).
4. How do we use personal information?
When you submit an application to us, we collect your personal information primarily to:
- assess your application for a WEX product & service which may include a credit account. This may include WEX taking steps to verify your identity; and
- if we provide you with a credit account, to administer that account.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we request, we may not be able to provide to you the WEX products & services you have requested.
When you visit our website or complete an online form or survey, we use the information provided to consider improvements to our products and to offer new products, including products offered by our partners.
We also use personal information that we collect for the following secondary purposes:
- servicing our relationship with you;
- providing necessary functionality;
- internal accounting and administration;
- regulatory compliance;
- comply with legal obligations;
- promote the security of services and to protect us from error or fraud;
- developing and improving our services;
- managing user registrations
- indirect marketing to help us identify others with similar characteristics to you that we may be able to offer WEX products & services to; and
- direct marketing to help us identify and inform you about other products or services that might benefit you;
- managing contests and promotions
Indirect and direct marketing
From time to time, with your consent, we may use the personal information collected from you to identify products and services which may benefit or interest you. We may contact you by telephone, email or post to let you know about those products or services.
We may also provide your personal information to third parties, with your consent, to ascertain other individuals and organisations that we can offer WEX products & services to.
If you do not wish to receive direct marketing or have your personal information used by us for indirect marketing purposes, you can tell us any time. Just call us on 1300 366 109 to ask us to discontinue sending marketing materials to you or log in to the secure members’ login area on our website.
With your consent
Your consent to use or share your personal information can be:
- given expressly, either verbally or in writing. For example, when you submit an application, whether via an online form or over the telephone, you give your express consent for us to obtain a credit report about you from a credit reporting agency.
- implied from your actions or your decision not to take action. For example, if you use our telephone service and continue the call after hearing a message, including a recorded message, notifying you that we will monitor the call, we can reasonably conclude that you agree for the call to be monitored.
5. When do we disclose personal information?
We keep your personal information confidential
We keep your personal information including your name and account details confidential except:
- when the law requires us to disclose the information, such as to a law enforcement body or a court under a subpoena
- when disclosure is in the public interest, such as to disclose a suspected or actual crime or misdeed
- when it is in our interest, such as in relation to legal action to which we are a party
- when you consent to disclose it (see “With your consent” above).
Who we disclose personal information to and why
We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for the purpose of direct marketing unless you have consented to this.
With your consent, we may also provide your personal information to our partners in respect of any WEX products & services that you have applied for. For example, if you have purchased a product in conjunction with another service provided to you by a WEX partner, we may disclose your personal information to the WEX partner so the partner can provide services to you.
Credit Reporting Bodies
We disclose personal information to credit reporting bodies with your consent. We do this so that we can assess your application for a credit account. We may disclose credit information to the following credit reporting bodies:
GPO Box 964,
North Sydney, New South Wales 2059.
T: 13 83 32
479 St Kilda Road,
Melbourne, Victoria 3004.
T: 13 23 33
Level 6, 549 St Kilda Road,
Melbourne, Victoria 3004.
T: 03 8699 0100
Sometimes, we give your personal information to service providers contracted by us so that they can help us provide services to you. The service providers are contracted to fulfil a specific function and we only disclose such personal information to them as is necessary to fulfil that function.
6. How do you access, update, and correct personal information?
Accessing your personal information
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you. The time it takes for us to respond to your request depends on the type and quantity of personal information you wish to access. We will contact you within 3 working days of your request to advise you of our estimated response time.
The law and other circumstances may prevent us from disclosing certain information to you.
If this is the case, we will advise you at the time of your request.
If you are our customer, we provide a members’ login area on our website, which will allow you to view and update personal information. You can also opt out of receiving marketing communications and updates.
Correcting your personal information
If you find that the information about you that we hold is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact us and we will correct it. We will take reasonable steps to ensure your information is accurate, complete and up-to-date whenever we collect or use it.
7. How do we keep your personal information secure?
Your personal information may be stored in hardcopy documents, as electronic data, or in our software or systems. WEX implements reasonable physical, administrative, and technical safeguards designed to protect your information from unauthorised access, use or disclosure.
Accessing your personal information from credit reporting bodies
You can obtain information about how credit reporting bodies we deal with handle your credit related personal information by contacting them on the contact details we have listed above.
If you think you are a victim of fraud, you can request that a credit reporting body not use or disclose credit related personal information about you.
8. Complaints and Queries
Please contact us if you have any concerns in relation to how your personal information is handled by us. We will try to resolve your complaint within 30 calendar days. We will let you know if we need further information from you in order to investigate and resolve your complaint. Where more time is required, we will contact you within that time to let you know how long we estimate it will take to resolve your complaint.
How to make a complaint
If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
Phone: 1300 363 992
Mail: GPO Box 5218, Sydney, New South Wales 2001
We are interested in your feedback. Please contact our Privacy Officer to give us your feedback.