Expedia is one of the world’s leading full-service online travel brands, helping travellers easily plan and book travel with a wide selection of travel packages, flights, hotels, rental cars and other travel options.
Expedia’s credit card network suffered frequent downtime and used recycled card numbers, making reconciliation time consuming and resource intensive. International payments were handled via cheque or bank transfer, exposing the business to loss and fraud.
Given the 24/7 nature of the business, Expedia needed an electronic payment processing solution that was flexible, secure and, above all, reliable. The solution had to offer:
- A truly single-use option – no recycled card or account numbers
- No network downtime, no matter how much daily booking volume varied
- Scalability to keep pace with the growing international business
- Reduced accounting resources and other administrative costs
Expedia implemented the WEX virtual payments solution to handle international bookings, which represented around 12% of its business (when the solution was implemented in 2008). This was so successful that, in 2010, Expedia migrated their domestic U.S. business to WEX, increasing total processing spend by 800% – this was implemented and running smoothly within 6 weeks.
- Reduced accounting workload by 3%, even as booking volume increased by 61%
- Fewer cheque and bank transfer payments
- Improved efficiency by uniting domestic and international payments
- Enhanced supplier relationships