Hurricane Laura has strengthened into a Category 4 as it heads for a destructive landfall near the Texas and Louisiana border Wednesday night into early Thursday morning. A catastrophic storm surge and damaging winds will batter the region and a threat of flooding rain and strong winds will extend well inland.
Residents along the upper Texas and southwest Louisiana coasts should finish preparations now for a major hurricane strike. Follow any evacuation orders issued by local or state officials.
Watch the Weather
The safety of your fleet should be your number one priority. Fleets in the path of the storm can stay up-to-date with the latest weather updates via local news or NOAA Weather Radio. Once the storm hits, stay off the roads. Do not drive around barricades. Emphasize to your drivers that almost half of all flood fatalities occur in vehicles, and a mere two feet of water can sweep away a car, truck, or SUV.
Have a Communication Plan
If you don’t already have an emergency communication plan in place, create one now. Make sure your drivers have an emergency contingency plan, including where they should go if they are caught in the storm.
These resources provide up-to-the-minute information on Hurricane Laura:
If you are caught in an area impacted by the hurricane, utilize these relief services:
- Get the latest fuel prices and closest service stations at your fingertips with WEX Connect, which helps drivers find fuel and service stations available in the local area. Download the mobile app through the App Store or Google Play.
- Access your account 24 hours a day by logging in online or downloading the Fleet SmartHub mobile app to track spending, make payments, and manage your cards. Download the mobile app through the App Store or Google Play.
- Check out the WEX Fleet dispatch blog for additional information and insights on best managing the ongoing impact a natural disaster or fluctuations in fuel prices.
- How to Prepare Your Fleet for a Natural Disaster
- 4 Ways to Adapt to Changing Fuel Prices
- Follow us on Social Media @WEXFleet