Corporate responsibility is part of the foundation at WEX, and giving back to local communities is one of our core values. We provide major grants to benefit greater Portland and the state of Maine, where our headquarters are based.
We direct our corporate community philanthropic support toward five overarching categories: the arts, education (with a focus on STEM initiatives), economic development, wellness, and basic needs. This allows us to make a truly substantial impact for the organizations and communities that we support.
In addition to our major grants program, we also offer smaller grants through employee-based giving committees, both in Maine and in several of our locations around the globe.
These giving committees provide funding to organizations that inspire local employees to give their time, support, and passion. All requests for funding are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year.
How to Qualify
WEX considers grant requests from charitable, nonprofit organizations as defined by section 501(c)(3) of the IRS tax code, along with other qualified state or local governmental entities.
Before you apply for a grant, keep in mind that WEX does not fund the following types of organizations, activities, or purposes:
- Programs serving residents of communities outside our geographic footprint
- Private foundations
- Political candidates, lobbying, or advocacy organizations
- Organizations with a limited constituency, such as fraternal, labor, or veterans groups
- Religious organizations
- Athletic teams or social groups
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristic protected by law
- Trips and tours by groups or individuals
It’s easy to apply for funding using our online grant management tool.
Submit a new request
Check on the status of an existing request