Those in the planner segment typically spend more of their HSA funds than they contribute while still keeping a balance in their HSA from year to year. Nearly 90 percent of these participants receive an employer contribution, and they use much of it to pay for healthcare expenses in the short term. On average, they spend $2,300 in HSA funds each year and contribute (employer and employee combined) $1,700 each year.
- $4,200 average yearly ending balance
- $3,400 average yearly contribution
- $1,900 average yearly distribution
- 27% of hybrids contribute 90% or more of the annual IRS max
- 90% of hybrid accounts receive employer contributions