From OTR trucking to local delivery fleets, telematics can improve fleet productivity and safety while helping to optimize assets and processes. Telematics empowers fleet managers to analyze data and make critical adjustments in real-time. In this blog, we’ll cover the basics and key benefits so that you can determine if telematics is right for your fleet.
What is Telematics?
Wikipedia says that a fleet telematics system (FTS), “…allows the information exchange between a commercial vehicle fleet and their central authority, i.e., the dispatching office.” Wikipedia’s definition is accurate, but we also like to think of telematics as a powerful ally like Knight Rider’s car, KITT, or Iron Man’s onboard assistant, Jarvis. The tracking units can be self-installed with easy-to-follow instructions, or by a certified third-party installer. And once your fleet is equipped, the benefits become immediately clear.
The benefits and capabilities of telematics are as ever-expanding as the data collected – and there is an immense amount of data collected. To be useful for fleet managers, this data requires expert analysis that is quickly translated into easily digestible dashboards and reports. WEX’s ClearView Analytics and Reporting provides up to 25 customizable reports that provide invaluable insight for the fleet manager. These reports reveal trends and anomalies in real–time so the fleet manager can quickly and easily identify solutions. The benefits are expansive.
Fleet Safety Benefits
- Monitor driver behavior (i.e. excessive accelerating/braking, speeding, etc.)
- Receive hazardous weather and traffic alerts
- Use gamification to encourage safer driving habits
Fleet Optimization Benefits
- Fuel consumption and MPG reporting
- Identify fueling stations with lowest costs
- Capitalize on savings with Stop Detail and Idling Report
Fleet Productivity Benefits
- Real–time location tracking
- Track routine fleet vehicle maintenance with Service Report
- Real-time fleet performance and vehicle operating conditions
Fleet Compliance Benefits
- Activity alerts (i.e. driving during off-hours, geofence violations, excessive speeding, etc.)
- Begin/end-of-day report
- Emissions and maintenance reporting
WEX Fleet solutions are scalable and can help with management no matter the size of the fleet. For smaller fleets, WEX fuel cards can help uncover immediate savings. Fleet managers can continue to grow savings as their fleet grows by adding WEX Telematics and GPS Tracking along with ClearView Analytics and Reporting. For a more in-depth look at the benefits of WEX Telematics, please visit us here.