by WEX Fleet
The work of a truck owner-operator is all encompassing. In addition to driving they take on all the responsibilities associated with running a business. They must keep the truck running, keep customers happy, negotiate with outside vendors, keep accurate books and handle all problems that come their way.
It’s a tough job, but to many the added responsibilities are the price they pay for independence on the road. Still, many owner-operators hit stumbling blocks to success, or don’t reach their full potential.
In the white paper, Owner-Operators: Trucking Is Their Business, WEX Fleet One looked at some of the common challenges faced by:
- The company driver making the transition to owner-operator
- The owner-operator leasing to a company
- The independent, well-established owner-operator building success
Topics covered include:
- Developing a business plan
- How to use load boards
- Determining rates: Time vs. Miles
- Leasing to the right company
- Fuel cards and discounts